While the average weight of a toddler is between 21 lbs to 38 lbs, babies often have a quick growth and cross over the anticipated weight limit. And the trend is rising day by day. As a result, the importance for stroller which can carry a weight of over 50 lbs also thriving. Albeit most strollers are made to hold children up to 50 lbs, there are some strollers that can hold children up to 55 lbs, 65 lbs, and even 75 lbs. This is good news for parents who have toddlers that weigh over 50 lbs and are looking for a stroller to accommodate the extra weight.
And just because these strollers are specifically made to support heavier weights doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re heavier or harder to push. In fact, many new models of strollers are made using aluminum, which makes them both sturdy and lighter. This means that you have choices when needing a stroller that can accommodate more weight. Maybe you’re looking for a simple umbrella stroller that you can use when running errands. Or maybe you’re looking for a jogging stroller so that you can continue your exercising regime. Or maybe you simply need an everyday stroller to get you around town? Whatever the reason, if you’re looking at strollers for toddlers over 50 lbs you’re sure to you find one that can best fit all of your particular needs.
#List Of Top 5 Best Strollers for Toddlers – Editor’s Picks:
Is it safe for me to put my 50+ lb toddler in a stroller that only holds up to 50lbs?
No, it is not safe. Manufacturers perform lots of tests in order to determine just how much weight a stroller can safely hold. If you put more weight in a stroller than it was designed to hold, there’s a good chance it can break, which could cause harm to your child.
Are strollers for toddlers over 50 lbs hard to push?
Strollers that are made to hold more than 50 lbs are specifically designed so that they are easy to push. Depending on the stroller you choose is going to determine how easy the stroller will be to push. For example, the overall design as well as the wheel configuration and its suspension qualities will help to determine how easy it will be for you to push any particular stroller.
Do I have to jog when using a jogging stroller?
No, you don’t. A jogging stroller can be used when going for a walk, going shopping, or anywhere else you want to take your child for the day. Because jogging strollers are specifically made for going jogging, you always have the option to go jogging when you buy a jogging stroller. One of the best qualities when it comes to jogging strollers is that they’re made to go over rough terrain, so you can essentially go anywhere you want to, when using a jogging stroller.
Do strollers for toddlers over 50 lbs all have the same seat dimensions?
No, they tend to vary, although not by too much. Some strollers that support more than 50 lbs of weight often offer a wider seating area, which adds to the overall comfort of the toddler. If you feel your child needs a wider seat area, be sure to check the width dimensions of the stroller you’re interested, in order to make sure that there will be enough room for your child to fit in the seat comfortably.
How much more weight can I add to the stroller?
The answer depends on the stroller, making it necessary for you to check the manufacturer’s instructions. Generally, you’re able to add anywhere between 5 lbs and 15 lbs of additional weight to the stroller, which tends to be things like diaper bags, water bottles, snacks and clothing. But it’s highly recommended to avoid putting unnecessary extra weight, which can raise safety issues for the baby.
Can my child take naps in the stroller?
Yes. Because the seats in most strollers are able to recline, your child can indeed take a nap in the stroller. Although, understand that there are different reclining positions available, which is dependent on the manufacturer of the stroller. The seat in most strollers tends to have 3 or 4 reclining positions, but not all of them recline all the way down flat. If your child needs to lie completely flat when taking a nap, be sure to check for this feature before buying a new stroller.
Best Strollers for Toddlers over 50 lbs
1. Britax B-Agile Stroller Review
- Parent convenience: One-hand quick fold; Extra-large storage basket
- Smooth ride: Lightweight design and all-wheel suspension for smooth, easy strolls
- Check in & chat: Ventilated, UPF 50+ canopy with peek-a-boo window for checking on baby
- Travel system ready: Compatible with Britax infant car seats
- Relax & recline: Infinite recline for napping or seeing the world
This stroller is fairly lightweight and super easy to manage, making this high-quality stroller a good choice when you’re looking for these two features. The frame is made using aluminum, which allows this stroller to come in at just 18 pounds.
Folding up or folding down just a matter of a few seconds, and can be done with one hand. The front wheels swivel making it easy to maneuver, even when in tight spaces or large crowds, a definite plus.
Although the storage basket offers adequate space for you to store the essentials needed for the day, it isn’t very easy to access the basket. The large canopy does offer plenty of protection from the outside elements, a must for parents who live in areas where there’s lots of sun, rain and/or wind.
- Holds toddlers up to 55 lbs
- Lightweight construction makes it very easy to maneuver on even ground
- Offers a smooth ride for both parent and child
- Large canopy offers plenty of sun protection
- Front swivel wheels allow for easy maneuverability
- Can be folded down into an easy to carry compact size
- Storage basket could be bigger and easier to access
- Weighs a little more than the average stroller
2. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller Review
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Front swivel wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging. Recommended use: 6 months - 50 pounds or up to 42.
- Reclining padded seat with 5 point harness, tether, large canopy and storage basket
- Convenient child and parent trays with 2 cup holders
- Easy compact fold for storage or travel
There are a handful of top-rated strollers available in the market for toddlers over 50 lbs, including this high-quality jogging stroller. Since this jogging stroller uses bicycle tires for its wheels, you can expect a super smooth ride wherever you go, a must for die hard joggers.
The large padded seat area offers plenty of comfort for your toddler, which comes with a 5-point harness system for safety so you don’t have to worry. You can even recline the seats using only one hand, which goes back far enough to support comfortable napping.
The average-sized canopy offers adequate protection from the outside elements, like the sun, the rain, and the wind. Although the large storage basket underneath only holds up to 5 lbs, it is easy to access from all sides.
- Holds toddlers up to 55 lbs
- 5- point harness safety system
- Very easy to maneuver, even when pushing it through rough terrain
- Folds up to a very compact size
- Fairly easy to fold and unfold, is self-standing
- Storage basket only holds 5 lbs of weight
- No suspension
- Back of seat is hard vs. soft, pliable
- Not a good choice for long distance runners
- Double action brakes require you press down twice to fully engage
3. Baby Jogger City Mini Gt Single Stroller Review
- Patented quick fold technology fold your lightweight stroller with one hand; Care The seat can be washed in cold water on the delicate cycle of your washing machine and attached back onto the stroller to dry
- 3 Wheel Stroller: 8.5 inches all terrain non flat tires with front wheel suspension provide a smooth comfortable ride
- Plush padded seat reclines to a near flat position with vented seat top
- Large adjustable sun canopy with peek a boo windows; Stroller Weight: 22.49 Pounds
- Adjustable handlebar suits users of all heights and Stroller height 38.19 to 43.5 inches
This jogging stroller is super lightweight in design, making it very easy to manage by anyone using it. This is a great stroller for parents who are looking for strollers for toddlers over 50 lbs as the seats have plenty of padding for comfort, and the wheels are specifically made for a smooth ride even when going over rocky terrain.
There’s plenty of sun protection when under the canopy, which includes a window so you can easily see how your toddler is doing at any time during the ride. Folding this stroller requires only one hand, making it a super simple process. And because it locks automatically you don’t have to worry about its unfolding, when you don’t want it to.
- Holds toddlers up to 65 lbs
- 5-point harness system for safety
- Adjustable handlebar is great for users of different heights
- The brake is controlled by your hands vs. your feet
- Excellent maneuverability, making it super easy to push
- Easy to maneuver due to front wheel suspension
- Not very easy to fold up when not using
- Basket is directly underneath the seat, making it somewhat difficult to access
- Minimal accessories included
4. Maclaren Techno XT Stroller Review
- Basic weight: 14.5lb; Suitable for newborns and up to 55lbs
- UPF 50+
- A fully recline multi-position seat with extendable leg rest and Newborn Safety System
- Self-Service Replaceable Parts Available
- Included: premium wind-resistant rain cover, head hugger, shoulder pads and buggy ID tag
Comes in at an impressive 15 lbs, this stroller is one of the lightweight products in the market. The overall design is one that’s very pleasing to the eye, making it a great choice when going traveling.
Because this stroller is known for its easy maneuvering abilities, it’s a top choice for parents who are looking for strollers for toddlers over 50 lbs. All wheel suspension also means a comfortable ride for both you and your toddler.
You’re able to easily navigate when going through crowds or getting out of tight places, thanks to its narrow frame. The seat reclines to 4 different positions, including fully flat for napping.
Which can easily be adjusted using only one hand. The storage basket underneath the seat is just big enough to hold your child’s items, so they added a pocket in the back of the seat that can easily hold any of your personal items, like a cell phone or a wallet.
The leg rest is extendable, adding additional comfort for your child. The SPF+ canopy is large and therefore offers full protection from all of the many outside elements.
- Holds toddlers up to 55 lbs
- Weighs an impressive 15 lbs, making it super easy to tote
- Super easy to maneuver, a feature parents love
- Large adjustable canopy
- Seat lies down all the way flat for napping
- Has adjustable handlebars, so great for tall parents
- Additional storage available in back seat pocket
- Storage basket can be difficult to access and could be larger
- Could be easier to fold up
5. Baby Trend Range Jogging Stroller Review
- Lockable front swivel wheel for ease of maneuverability. The stroller is of steel frame construction and also there is an extra large storage basket
- Convenient parent tray includes two cup holders and covered compartment storage. Footrest reflectors provide greater low-light visibility
- Child tray with two cup holders also accepts car seats to form a Travel System.Adjustable canopy with covered sunroof ratchets to block sun and wind
- Extra wide, ergonomically shaped rubber handle, Effortless trigger fold easily reduces stroller to a compact unit
- Multi-position, reclining, padded seat and Fully adjustable 5-point safety harness and tether strap
Strollers, which are designed to carry heavy weight, should include features that make it easy for parents to use, like a lockable front swivel wheel. A front swivel wheel definitely makes it easier for you to maneuver the stroller, and no matter where you happen to be at any given time.
This jogging stroller is super easy to control when it comes to maneuvering, whether you’re taking a stroll or actually jogging. The handle bar is ergonomically designed, a feature that any true jogger will surely appreciate.
The storage basket underneath the seat provides plenty of storage space, making it easy for you to bring everything you need for the day, keeping it all together in one easy to access location. It’s also easy to fold up and fold down, a feature every parent loves.
- Holds toddlers up to 55 lbs
- Rides well over rough terrain
- Front wheel swivels for easy maneuvering
- Ergonomic handlebar
- Ample storage space available
- Very easy to adjust the seat to different positions
- Easy to fold up, fold down
- Difficult to put air in tires due to valve stem location
- Although storage basket is large, doesn’t offer a lot of support
When it comes to the best strollers for toddlers over 50 lbs, we decided that the Maclaren Techno XT Stroller is the best choice. This top-rated stroller easily holds toddlers up to 55 lbs, and it only weighs 15 lbs, making it very lightweight and therefore easy to manage. The all wheel suspension makes for a super smooth ride, and allows for outstanding maneuvering, which are both very important features when pushing a toddler that weighs over 50 lbs. Let’s not forget about the adjustable handlebar, which means parents can adjust it to a position they feel most comfortable using.
The seat reclines fully flat to support a napping toddler, a feature many parents look for in a reclining stroller seat. The leg rest is extendable too. The storage basket should hold everything you need when going out, but if not, there’s an added pocket in the back of the seat. The SPF+ canopy is quite large, so parents don’t have to worry that their toddler isn’t getting enough protection from the outside elements.
The overall and modern design makes this stroller easy to use, making it a great choice when visiting friends and family, or going on long travel trips. And because the frame is narrow, it’s easy to steer when going to places where there are large crowds.